Tuesday, February 28, 2012

On Top of the World

Went to Switzerland this weekend, and it was amazing!  We stayed in a small village named Gimmelwald on a mountain in the Jungfraujoch region near Bern.  You have to take a cable car up from the town in the valley just to get to it, then another cable car or a hike up the mountain to Murren, the main town on the mountain which is also the main jump off point for skiing.


We got in very early Friday morning and then made our way up the mountain to rent skis in Murren.  Then we took the cable car even higher up the mountain, almost to the top to Birg, where the main ski trails are.  I could have picked a better place to learn how to ski for the first time: I fell a few times (tumbled is more like it) before I got comfortable, but by the end of the day I was making it all the way down the runs just fine.





By the end of the day I was sore and tired, but it was awesome.  At night we hiked up the mountain above Murren a bit, then sled all the way back down into Gimmelwald, it was a bit nerve racking but cool.  Saturday the conditions weren't very good so half of us didn't ski again, but we walked around and above Murren for a bit and saw more of the town.

Sunday we had to go back down the mountain to leave from Interlaken, so we left early and got to walk around and see the town, which is much bigger than any of the towns on the mountain or in the valley.  A lot of the stores were closed because it was Sunday, but a few were open, so I bought myself a Swiss army knife as a souvenir.

Overall it was an amazing weekend.  Unfortunately this week I have four exams and a paper so it's going to be a bit busy.  So far one exam down, three and the paper to go.  This coming weekend I'm staying in Rome, but me and a friend might do a day trip on Saturday to somewhere close by.

No comments:

Post a Comment